Lets start with a poll:
Would you be offended if your boyfriend wore a shirt that had a stick figure of a groom and a stick figure of a groom and at the bottom it said 'Game Over'?
I was.
My boyfriend decided one day to do a little shopping on his own and what does he come home with but this lovely t-shirt described above.
As a feminist, and as a somewhat skeptic of the concept of marriage, this t-shirt kind of irked me. Marriage has always been an iffy subject for me. My parents are still together after 27 years, my grandparents after 51, so I should have a pretty good feeling that marriages can work out...but with the divorce rate being over 50% I am skeptical.
The t-shirt subliminally explains why I may feel so skeptical. Feminism and marriage have never seemed to connect well. It isn't very often that we learn about feminism and marriage. As a feminist, I believe in mutual respect. In a partnership, we should respect each other and I felt like the t-shirt didn't show much respect. Marriage is a scary concept and one that is not entered into with much ease and this t-shirt made me feel even more unsure. What is it about the concept of marriage that makes people lose themselves, and lose their minds?!
I wanted to be like Oprah. Have a steady man in my life, but never a civil union. It seems that would be more complicated than a marriage. In modern times, you can live together for extremely short periods of time and you still have to divide everything 50/50. Marriage is a complication. In a marriage, it's give and take. As a feminist, I have a strong understanding of who I am and that may sometimes make me a little bit difficult to get along with. I know exactly what I want, need and how I am going to get it. It takes a certain type of man to make it with a feminist.
I'm pretty sure I've found that :)
No comments:
Post a Comment