Saturday, March 19, 2011

And Then I Met Him...

I've mentioned it before...I never saw myself getting married or having children. I was never the type of girl who dreamed about a big white wedding or a big baby belly. Those weren't in my plans. I wanted an education, and a career that I loved. This was not to say that I did not see myself falling in love or being in a relationship, I just never understand why we had to make it legal. I think I do now, at least a little better.

It took someone very special for me to start to picture these things. I see myself getting married and having kids now. And who have thought that the person I would choose to be with would be someone who does not have a University education and someone who does not follow feminism. Surprisingly, he may be one of the most feminist people I have ever met. It just goes to show that you don't have to study something to live it. He lives a somewhat feminist lifestyle everyday and he makes a conscious effort to take part in my passions and beliefs, which in a large part involve feminism. This man is not the person I would have expected myself to fall in love with but I have and I am forever grateful.

He respects my beliefs and encourages them. He understands that I do things differently than other people may do. I know exactly who I am and my feminism has largely helped me to do this. He asks questions and shows an interest in wanting to learn about the things that are important to me. We have very different lifestyles but the core values that we both have overlap. It is incredibly rare when you find someone who fits with you in such an easy and seamless way. I may not have been the little girl dreaming of a white wedding but I will be the grown woman having one. It is funny how life works out.

No comments:

Post a Comment