Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Four-One-One

Feminism has always been present in my life, even if I never called it by that name. It wasn't until I entered into University and started taking Women's Studies classes that I recognized myself as a feminist. I connected with it. It spoke to me.

I started dating my previous boyfriend in my second year of University. We had met in a Women's Studies classroom. I thought, 'He must be something if he's actively engaging in discussion in a women's studies classroom.' He seemed really interesting and I felt like I could talk to him about feminist issues because he seemed so open minded. (There weren't many guys who were willing to take Women's Studies classes and even fewer who would speak in them).

Obviously by my statement 'previous boyfriend' that didn't really work out all too well. It turns out he wasn't as progressive as I had thought him to be. In fact, he wasn't progressive at all! He was judgemental, and pushy and didn't seem to like the notion of feminism, nor agree with any of it, either. Every time I spoke of something I had learned or discussed in one of my classes, he was quick to dispute the entire conversation. He brought down my feminism a lot. I dated him until the beginning of my fourth year of University and by then, I will admit, my feminism was in shambles. I lost who I was, and the feminist in me went dormant as well.

FAST FORWARD

Not too long after we had broken up, my friend said 'I know someone perfect for you... my brother!' I was not sure. We didn't seem to have much in common and I felt like I was just starting to get my life back together. He was a labourer, with no University education and no awareness of feminism. But he had a nice smile :). To my surprise, he was incredibly accepting. He encouraged my beliefs and interests and would sit and listen to me for as long as I needed to talk. He has heard about countless lectures, papers, discussion groups, etc. I was falling back into feminism and taking him with me. And he's given me lots of good stuff to write about in this blog!

Who would have thought that the University educated, Women's Studies versed boyfriend could be schooled in feminism by a someone who had never heard the word before?

No comments:

Post a Comment